Training a master of data journalism who can handle big data, critically analyze and produce data
based media content. The program focuses on data journalism, the dynamics and direction of its
development, application of state-of-the-art technology, and advanced data visualization
techniques. Practical subjects are aimed at developing professional skills such as data sorting
following with forming data based media content in storytelling format.
- History of Kazakh journalism
- Genre forms and functions of modern journalism
Introduction to Journalism – (5 ECTS);
Media language and Style – (5 ECTS);
Total: 10 ECTS
There is no need to study prerequisite subjects if your Bachelor degree (major) is in relative speciality.
Create a full-fledged journalistic data material, using the analysis of the processed data;
• Use methods to store, access and process information by interacting with website APIs, JSON,
SQL databases, raw text dumps, creating web scrapers and converting hard-to-use PDFs into
• Develop interactive data content in various genres and forms of journalism, taking into account
the competent formulation of a judgment based on incomplete or limited information, knowledge
of basic Python coding algorithms and the principles of operation of other services for in-depth
processing of large data arrays;
• Make correct hypotheses based on big data through their filtering and comparative analysis;
• Plan and create journalistic visual data projects by using new technologies and services in
working with open data sources;
• Classify the rights and freedoms of journalists in working with open and confidential data
sources through the analysis of legal issues in the field of data journalism;
• Apply the key aspects of data journalism to influence the media sphere by effectively searching
for data, followed by filtering and processing until the stage of transformation into full-fledged
• Summarize the laws of science development, apply psychology in the management of society,
create media texts in English and gain practical pedagogical skills.
Upon completion of the program, graduates can find work in various sectors where data plays an
important role and the analysis, visualization and communication of information based on data is
required. In particular, data journalists are in demand in online publications and news sites, on
television and radio, research centers, marketing and advertising agencies, non-profit
organizations and activist groups, consulting firms, in higher education and training. In addition,
data journalists can work as freelancers, offering their services to various organizations and
Many of our undergraduates work during the day, so we can organize classes at your convenience in the evening or in an online format.
Our program is necessary not only for theoretical, but also for journalistic professional skills, skills that are used in practice. It is very important that the communication between the company and the client, the editorial office and the audience is good and reliable. The implementation of this project on an online platform has become a particularly urgent problem. Our program offers the skills and knowledge needed to meet these needs in a high-quality and professional manner. By learning these skills, you will be able to reach new and Mature heights in your professional field.
- Training of a modern specialist who can constantly improve himself, effectively use individual characteristics and abilities, work with the date on a professional level;
- Instilling the skills of collecting, processing, filtering large amounts of data, making a hypothesis with a logical basis;
- Release of a date journalist that can deduce the value and event line from the processed date and perfectly convey it to the audience with visual elements;
- Training of masters who are familiar with the basic features of coding, well-versed in the original technologies and programs necessary for date processing;
- Training in methods for building and processing information in a non-fully processed format that can work with various information formats, such as JSON, CSV;
- Formation of professional communication that contributes to the improvement of each other.