Your link to the past & gateway to the future
About the library
The research library was opened in 1996 and is one of the most important departments of the university. The mission of the library is to provide support for learning, teaching and research at the University by creating opportunities for access to local and global information resources, and to introduce digitization of library and bibliographic processes providing access to electronic resources. The Library serves undergraduate and postgraduate students and university staff. The Library has a collection of printed and e-books on a wide range of topics for the support of each subject in teaching and research. The Collection is updated annually in accordance with the requirements of educational programs of the university, with lots of publication formats being increasingly available electronically. Materials are purchased from well-known local and international book-selling networks, publishing houses, information agencies and companies.
100 NEW TEXTBOOKS IN THE KAZAKH LANGUAGE
In the article of the First President of the Republic of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev «Course towards the future: modernization of Kazakhstan’s identity» the new project «New humanitarian knowledge. 100 New Textbooks in Kazakh Project» is being implemented for the development of social sciences and humanities.
The project’s goal is: creating all necessary conditions for students well-rounded education in history, political science, sociology, philosophy, psychology, cultural studies, religious studies, linguistics, media, economics, management, entrepreneurship and innovation. In the upcoming years 100 best world books on social sciences and humanities are expected to be translated into Kazakh to enable young generation easy access to the information. For this purposes, a non-governmental organization «National Bureau of Translation» was established by the order of the Government in the summer of 2017.
Weekends, holidays, last Friday of every month
Using our Library
A valid SDU ID card is required to subscribe and enter the library. Users / readers can borrow items; use reading room, and the centre of electronic resources.
Loan entitlements differ for different materials:
- Textbooks / course books can be borrowed for the period of studying the corresponding subject (with mandatory renewal of the items at the beginning of academic year);
- Teaching materials can be borrowed for the period of up to one month. In case, there is a sufficient number of copies they can be borrowed for the period of teaching the corresponding subject (with mandatory renewal of the items at the beginning of academic year);
- Scientific books can be borrowed for the period of up to one month and no more than five items;
- Fiction can be borrowed for the period of 15 days and no more than three items.
Due dates for items may be extended if there is no demand for them from other users, or reduced if there is only one copy of the item and it is in high demand.
Several items for use during the classes can be borrowed by the student or teacher in charge.
The items that cannot be borrowed are: current periodicals, rare and valuable items, and the last or only copy of the item in the collection. In case such items are borrowed, a deposit, the amount of which depends on the value of the item, is charged for it.
Using reading room
When ordering items in the reading room, users present their ID card. Items used in the reading room cannot be borrowed. Encyclopaedias, reference materials, rare and valuable items, as well as periodicals can be used only in the reading room.
The number of items that can be issued for use in the reading room is not limited, as a rule, with the exception of items of high demand.
Items issued in the reading room can be reserved for a particular user for a specified period. Library users / readers are required to:
- Follow the rules of conduct for readers.
- Annually, at the beginning of the academic year, re-register and return all the borrowed items. Users who are not re-registered are not served by any library department.
- You must not pass your SDU ID card to another person so that they were able to use the Library.
- You must observe all rules and instruction relating to the introduction and deposit of bags and cases.
- Consider other readers and behave in a way that does not disturb them.
- You must protect material or equipment issued to you.
- Do not take items out of the library unless you are allowed to do so.
- Use the collection of the reading room only in reading room.
- Do not violate the order of items in the open access collection.
- Return materials to the library on due dates.
- In case of loss or damage to materials, replace them with the same or equivalent materials.
- Users who caused damage to the library materials or equipment are liable to the applicable regulations.
- When leaving the university, readers must return all the materials issued to them to the library.