What do we do in terms of ethics?
Suleyman Demirel University is committed to hold highest ethical values to carry research. The aim of the Research Ethics Policy is to set out the general principles that underpin the ethical conduct of research. Researchers are expected to familiarise themselves with the university Research Ethics Policy and follow the rules and regulations to maintain good ethics practice in all aspects of their work. Human subjects research at the University is guided by the ethical principles set forth in the Belmont Report (Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research), see https://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/regulations-and-policy/belmont-report/index.html#
SDU Research Ethics Review Procedure
If the object of research work of a student (master / PhD) are people, or objects of wildlife and habitat, then in order to protect their rights, safety and well-being, the student must fulfill the following requirements (until the end of the 1st semester of the 2nd course):
1. Complete parts 1 and 2 of the Research Ethics Self-Assessment Form (in any language).
2. Submit the completed form with survey/ questions of interview, etc. for verification to the head of the dissertation work and a member of the ethical commission of the faculty and receive their signatures.
3. According to the completed Research Ethics Self-Assessment Form:
3.1. If the research work does not require special ethical expertise, the student can proceed with his/her research work; (A fully completed and signed “Research Ethics Self-Assessment” form remains with the student and submitted during thesis defense).
3.2. If the research work requires a special ethical examination, the student must pass the examination of the ethical commission. To pass the ethical examination, the student must fill out a special form and hand it over to a member of the ethical commission of the faculty.
3.3. Written Informed Consent Form Template is attached to obtain the agreement of the respondents.
4. After that, a discussion is held at a meeting of the ethical commission. The decision of the ethical commission is provided in no more than 2 weeks.
5. Prior to the pre-defense of the dissertation the student must fill out the form – The conclusion of the Ethical Commission items 1-6 and send to the e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org (This point applies only to doctoral students).