Rector of SDU Kuanysh Yergaliyev, together with Kazakhstani scientists and the Minister of Health Yelzhan Birtanov, participated in online conference held on the 29th of April at the Health Ministry platform.
The main topics of the meeting were matters concerning epidemiology and public health; during the conference scientists shared their prospects, discussed strategies and scientific approaches to solve topical matters of public health.
Speakers of the conference were the heads and scientific employees of Kazakhstani universities, among them: experts from the Academy of Preventive Medicine of Kazakhstan, the Institute of Public Health and Professional Health, Karaganda Medicine University NC JSC, and Asfendiyarov Kazakh National Medical University.
Rector of SDU Kuanysh Yergaliyev was invited as an international expert in public health. It should be noted that he is the only Kazakhstani PhD graduate from Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Thus, opinion and projections of an international expert were so important to all participants of the meeting. He related the health matters to the social aspect of the pandemic and public reactions. During his speech Kuanysh Yergaliev made a focus on the main aspects of post-quarantine period, demanding special attention. The Speaker offered valuable recommendations based on advice of scientists and experts in public health from Harvard University and emphasized most significant aspects:
- Epidemiological aspect, related to the monitoring system of infected and contacting persons and their isolation through different gadgets, the Internet and social networks. Also, the expert mentioned the importance of decision making concerning simultaneous easing of quarantine as epidemiological situation differs in every region.
- Medical aspect including resources of health system for testing, treatment of patients and availability of personnel.
- Economical aspect related with social tension and unemployment. As recommendations for the leaders of small and medium-sized businesses the expert presented 5 strategies of Harvard Professor Joseph Allan: to work remotely as much as possible, to engage only primary employers providing vital functions of enterprises; engineering controls in relation to optimization, ventilation, air filtration; administrative control, to downsize employees’ gatherings with possibility of flexible timetables, shifts and distribution of workers at their work places; and the fifth one is to use personal protective equipment (masks, gloves, temperature measurement and sanitizers).
- The fourth aspect Rector of SDU connected with society.
– Pandemic and crisis caused new emerging realities and social norms that we have to accept in order to protect our families and ourselves. The increase of the level of medical literacy among people, obedience of simple preventive measures and training of medical employees. It is my strong believe that the Ministry of Health must actively participate in execution of these aspects, especially concerning the creation of new and safe norms of interactions between people with the use of social media instruments, Internet and social networks. We are all connected and the decisions taken by other people in another country will influence the results of our work, – highlighted Kuanysh Yergaliyev.
In conclusion Speaker discussed application of interdisciplinary method into population mobilization, the importance of effective communications with open and highly reliable informing of people on ongoing events given low population credibility, delivery of scientific researches, data analysis and data usage when administrative decision making and understanding of the impact of globalization on pandemic.
It should be noted that this is not the first time the Health Ministry of the Republic of Kazakhstan gathers together local scientists at its platform; the Ministry of Health is going to conduct other online scientific meetings on topical matters. The Health Minister Yelzhan Birtanov underlined that the opinions of experts and scientific figures are very important when decision making, as it is necessary to use scientific approach in order to improve current situation with COVID -19.